In part 1 I explained the basics of Ayurveda and I tried my best to give a detailed explanation of how Ayurvedic remedies promote hair growth. If you somehow missed part 1 please go on to read it here for a better understanding of the topic. As promised in part 1, here are a few Ayurvedic herbal and oil treatments you can use on your hair.
This Ayurvedic scalp massage treatment using warm herbal scented oils, promotes hair growth by increasing blood circulation to the scalp. It nourishes a dry scalp and enhances the hair's lustre. This is achieved by using a mixture of carrier oils and essential oils.
1. For dandruff and a dry scalp
- Mix olive oil, almond oil, coconut oil, or sesame oil with a few drops of lemon juice
- You can also add a few drops of chamomile, cedarwood, lavender or rosemary essential oils. They are good for treating a dry scalp (OPTIONAL)
- Massage the warmed mixture into the scalp and let it sit for an hour or preferably overnight before washing it out with a mild shampoo
2. For hair growth and restoration
- To stimulate blood circulation to the hair follicles take a few tablespoons of coconut oil, olive oil, almond oil or sesame oil. I like castor oil because it's good for hair growth but it's a bit too heavy so I mix it with a lighter oil like coconut oil or olive oil so it's less thick
- Add a few drops of peppermint, thyme, rose geranium, lavender, rosemary, frankincense, cedarwood or cypress essential oils as they combat hair loss and promote hair growth
- Massage the warm oil into your scalp using your fingertips to increase blood flow to your hair follicles. Wrap your hair for an hour or overnight before washing it out
Do this treatment 1-3 times a week to see great results.
It is the Ayurvedic application of medicated herbal pastes to your hair and scalp to nourish your hair and promote growth.
1. For dry hair and dandruff
- Mix half a cup shikakai powder, 1 cup amla powder and 1 cup warm water into a smooth paste
- Let it sit for 2 hours then apply it your hair
- Leave it in for 30minutes before washing it out
2. To combat hair loss and promote hair growth
- Mix a cup of amla powder, 3 tablespoons of henna powder, 2 tablespoons of fenugreek powder, 1 egg white, lemon juice and water into a smooth paste
- Let it sit for an hour
- Apply this to your hair from root to tip and leave it in for an hour
- Wash your hair with a mild shampoo and rinse with cold water
- Do not use hot water!!!!
3. For thick hair
- Mix 2 tablespoons amla powder, 2 tablespoons shikakai powder with 4 tablespoons water into a smooth paste
- Apply it to your hair and leave it in for an hour
- Rinse it off with cold water
4. To condition hair
- Mix henna and coconut milk into a smooth consistent paste
- Apply it to your hair and leave it in for an hour before rinsing it out
These treatments can be done 1-3 times a week for optimal results.
You can also make your own variations of these mixes to keep your hair nourished, strong and lustrous. Have you tried Ayurveda before? Drop your experience in the comments, I'd love to read your testimonials (good or bad). I hope you found the Ayurveda articles helpful and that I made it all clear and comprehensive. If you have more questions or additional information to add feel free to comment. Happy hair growing!!!!!
Instagram: @missnoirdoo & @zimbofros